Every class has to have some kind of positive reward system, right? Well, I have the class store. This is how it did it:
1. I got little small, plastic containers at the Dollar Tree, they're in the baby section and you get 5 for $1.
2. I put labels with the kids' names on the containers, this way they act as a name tag too!
3. I bought a giant tub of play money at Lakeshore Learning.
4. I went to Wal-Mart and purchased an over the door shoe organizer.
5. I had parents send in small items to stock the class store then I placed the items in the organizer and labeled the pockets with price tags.
How it works: When the kids are behaving I reward them with a play coin or two. They save the money in their plastic "banks". On Friday afternoons a parent volunteer comes in to help the children count their money. The children then shop at the class store. I allow them to buy one item per week so the store doesn't get depleted too quickly.
Most of the kids say the store is their favorite part of first grade... What, you mean I'm not their favorite part? ;) Tee hee!